We, the undersigned members of the fastest growing occupational group in the world, if not the universe, “in order to form a more perfect union”or at least keep our friends, family members and business associates from hassling us on a regular basis… do hereby and forthwith, establish this, the Home Business Entrepreneurs’ Bill of Rights.
- Just because we work at home, it doesn’t mean we are sitting around waiting to do favors for our cubicle-dwelling friends and family. In other words, walk you own dang dog and feed your own darn cats.
- We love talking to our friends on the phone. But, if you call during our busy times, expect to get a brush-off. Get over it.
- To our wonderful children: Despite child labor laws, you make excellent temporary workers for our home businesses. Say hello to the real world, kids.
- We don’t have a tech support department. When we talk to our web developers and designers, we expect to communicate in plain language, not post-modern-neo-techno gobbledy-gook, or Klingon, or even Middle Earth elfin. You’ll live longer and prosper more, if you just fix my dang laptop!
- We need to network, too. Don’t call our conferences trips, "vacations," and we promise to refer to your Vegas business trips as, “professional development opportunities.”
- Invention marketers and other firms that scam home business entrepreneurs have a special corner in Hades … and a nice front row seat in a courtroom… reserved just for them. Can you say, “Class Action Lawsuit?” We can.
- Our cars are more than vehicles. They’re buses. Delivery vans. Mobile billboards. Taxi cabs. If they get a little messy…. OK… REALLY messy… deal with it.
Please sign and pass it on!
“Startup Stella contributes to this blog from her two-dimensional world, which you can learn more about by visiting this cartoon strip StartupNation created to share Stella’s quirky but classic entrepreneurial epiphanies with you.”