- WJR Business Beat: U.S. News & World Report Ranking of Top U.S. Colleges (Episode 477) - September 15, 2022
- WJR Business Beat: The 4-Day Workweek Picks Up Steam (Episode 476) - September 14, 2022
- Pradeep Khurana on Smart Ways to Outsource, Tackle Obstacles - September 14, 2022
StartupNation Radio is brought to you by Pappas Financial
On this episode of StartupNation Radio, Jeff chats with Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame and New York Times best-selling author and photojournalist, Linda Solomon.
In 1983, Solomon met Aretha Franklin when she was just beginning her career as a photojournalist. What began as a simple ask for one photograph blossomed into a friendship and a career in which Solomon captured the singer’s major career events. When Franklin passed in the summer of 2018, Solomon was the only photojournalist invited to intimate, family moments, including a pre-funeral reception at the St. Regis Hotel.
This fall, Linda is releasing a new book, “The Queen Next Door: Aretha Franklin, an Intimate Portrait,” a 220 plus page, 140 full-color photograph book of Aretha Franklin’s life in pictures.
Linda’s previously published books include “The Key: Celebrated People Unlock Their Secrets to Life,” featuring over 60 noted personalities, such as Barbara Walters, Katie Couric and Tony Bennet sharing their key insights to life; and “People We Know, Horses They Love,” featuring at-home photo essays with Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman and others.
During the interview, Solomon discusses:
- How she developed her skill and passion for photography and turned it into her life’s work
- The importance of risk, and what it means to take a risk as an entrepreneur
- Various transitions she has made throughout her career
- Pictures of Hope, her 501©3 program that introduces children who are less fortunate to photography
- Her thoughts on rejection
- Her breakthrough moments early on in her career
- The special moments she shared throughout her relationship and friendship with Aretha
“The Queen Next Door: Aretha Franklin, an Intimate Portrait” will be available for purchase by Wayne State University Press on Sept. 9, 2019.
For more information on Linda Solomon, visit her official website.
Tune in to WJR 760 AM radio next Saturday at 2 p.m. EST for an all-new episode of StartupNation Radio!