- WJR Business Beat: Record Spending On Small Business Saturday (Episode 329) - December 2, 2021
- WJR Business Beat: Shopify Jump-Starts Starting A Business (Episode 328) - December 1, 2021
- WJR Business Beat: Shoppers Consider Brand Purpose In Their Purchase Decisions (Episode 327) - November 30, 2021
StartupNation Radio is brought to you by Pappas Financial
On this episode of StartupNation Radio, Jeff chats with two entrepreneurs whose passions led them to business creation (and re-creation).
First up, StartupNation’s CEO and co-founder talks with Zach Berg, founder, co-owner and head cheesemonger of Monger’s Provisions. Later, Matt Damman discusses his latest role as CEO of Commando Lock.
With locations in both Ferndale and Detroit, Mongers’ Provisions aims to share food and stories through cultivation, connections and passion. Zach got started in the food industry at a young age and after spending two years with Zingerman’s, attended the Culinary Institute of America in Napa Valley. When he returned to his home state of Michigan, he hosted pop-up shops before opening the brick and mortar Mongers’ Provisions with business partner and co-owner, Will Werner.
During the interview, Zach discusses:
- How he and Will use their passion for their products to enhance the customer journey
- Business plan development and structuring
- The transformative event or key move he made in business
- What makes a great partnership
- How he and Will funded the business
- Where he sees Mongers’ Provisions going from here
For more information on Zach and Mongers’ Provisions, visit the official website.
Next up, Jeff brings on lifelong entrepreneur, Matt Damman. With several business pursuits under his belt (including family business, Damman Hardware, and Walkie Chalk, which he started with his wife, Shauna), Matt’s latest pursuit is Commando Lock, which he successfully “re-started” as CEO.
In late 2018, Matt joined the team to recapitalize the business, help further elevate the brand and drive new sales and marketing plans, bringing it to more consumers and deeper into commercial markets.
During the show, Matt touches on:
- How he is building the Commando Lock brand
- How he managed to secure a leadership position with a pre-existing brand
- The steps he took to “re-start” the business
- How Commando Lock is going after market share of competitors (i.e. Master Lock)
- His plans for business growth
- What he envisions for the future of Commando Lock
For more information on Matt and Commando Lock’s military-grade padlock system, visit the official website.
Tune in to WJR 760 AM radio on Saturday at 2 p.m. EST for an all-new episode of StartupNation Radio!