- WJR Business Beat: U.S. News & World Report Ranking of Top U.S. Colleges (Episode 477) - September 15, 2022
- WJR Business Beat: The 4-Day Workweek Picks Up Steam (Episode 476) - September 14, 2022
- Pradeep Khurana on Smart Ways to Outsource, Tackle Obstacles - September 14, 2022
On this episode of StartupNation Radio, brought to you by Pappas Financial, your host, Jeff Sloan, is joined in the co-host chair by prior guest, Ashley Williams.
First up, Jeff and Ashley chat with Kyle Bartell, co-founder of Sit On It Detroit.
Founded in 2012 with business partner Charles Molnar, Sit On It Detroit is a social enterprise that provides reclaimed wood benches at bus stops around the city. A for-profit entity doing social good, Sit On It Detroit’s mission is to create a better quality of life for transit riders with free literature and a place to sit while they wait for the bus.
During the interview, Bartell discusses:
- His background in urban studies and urban planning, and how coming from a family of entrepreneurs benefited his project
- How Sit On It Detroit improves the quality of life of metro Detroiters
- How the company repurposes local materials
- How Sit On It Detroit has created partnerships with brands including Red Bull, Habitat for Humanity, AT&T and more
- How press and social media coverage helps Sit On It Detroit to make a footprint
Next up, Jeff and Ashley speak with call-in guest, Timm Martin, an architect by day, record label owner by passion.
A lifelong musician and passionate bass player, Timm possesses a unique perspective of both musician and entrepreneur, having toured with the likes of Canned Heat and The Rolling Stones.
During the interview, Martin talks about:
- His history with music, from playing bass in a high school band in Chicago to playing professionally on the road
- His career path change to the corporate world in architecture
- How he re-entered the music world by opening two record labels, Out The Box Records and Dustimmoff Music Partnership
- The business of owning a record label
- How he was able to put his passion on hold for 18 years
- New music coming from the Dustimmoff label (including Eva B. Ross and her first single, “Messy”)
- Advice for anyone looking to start a record label
For more information, visit Dustimmoff Music Partnership on Facebook.
Tune in to WJR 760 AM radio on Saturdays at 2 p.m. for all-new episodes of StartupNation Radio.