- WJR Business Beat: U.S. News & World Report Ranking of Top U.S. Colleges (Episode 477) - September 15, 2022
- WJR Business Beat: The 4-Day Workweek Picks Up Steam (Episode 476) - September 14, 2022
- Pradeep Khurana on Smart Ways to Outsource, Tackle Obstacles - September 14, 2022
StartupNation Radio is brought to you by our sponsor, Pappas Financial.
On this episode of StartupNation Radio, Jeff explores the relationship of design and entrepreneurship with two very influential guests. First up on the show, he chats with graphic designer, Mick Brege. Later, Jeff interviews Julie Zhuo, VP of design at Facebook, who shares her insights on expert team management. After becoming a manager at the age of 25 and releasing her debut book, “The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You,” in March, she’s a pro.
Jeff and Mick kick off the show by diving into Mick’s background and posing the question, “What is a designer?”
During the show, Mick discusses:
- Design relevant to entrepreneurship
- How startups deploy design
- Tips for becoming a designer
- How product and design relate
- How entrepreneurs can use design to differentiate themselves (and their brand) from the competition
- The use of color in branding
- The importance of wearing different hats as a designer
For more information or to connect with Mick, visit mickbrege.com.
Next up, Jeff talks with Julie Zhuo, an author and manager who leads the team responsible for the design of Facebook. Without any degree in design (she has a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science from Stanford), Julie jumped into a management role with no prior managerial experience. In her book, “The Making of a Manager,” she shares management skills and tips that can be implemented at the startup level.
During the show, Julie talks about:
- How she got her start at Facebook
- Her first-hand experience jumping into an unfamiliar role
- Why she wrote “The Making of a Manager”
- What an entrepreneur can expect to learn from her book
- How to get great outcomes from your teams in a sustainable and efficient manner
- Tips for coaching people to their greatest performance
- The importance of defining your “True North” as a leader
“I wanted to write the book that I wish I had when I was 25.'”
– Julie Zhuo on her book, “The Making of a Manager”
“The Making of a Manager” is available now at fine booksellers and can be purchased via StartupNation.com.
Be sure to tune in to WJR 760 AM radio on next Saturday at 2 p.m. for an all-new episode of StartupNation Radio!