Tune in to the full StartupNation Radio show with Genusee and Mongers’ Provisions here:
First up is VanOverbeke, the founder of Genusee, an eyewear company that launched in 2018 out of Flint, Michigan, that creates its products from recycled, single-use plastic water bottles.
During the interview, VanOverbeke discusses:
- How the idea for Genusee formed
- Genusee’s overall goals
- Why Genusee shoots to hire low-income, previously incarcerated and other often overlooked individuals
- Why she believes business can be a vehicle for social change
- How Genusee transformed from a side hustle to a full-fledged company
Next up, Jeff chats with Berg, the founder, co-owner and head cheese monger at Mongers’ Provisions, a company founded in 2017 with locations in Detroit and Ferndale, Michigan, that specialize in cut-to-order cheese, craft chocolate and charcuterie. In its Detroit store, it also carries beer and wine and makes grilled cheese sandwiches.
During the segment, Berg talks about:
- How the business adapted to the challenges of the pandemic
- How passion and storytelling drive the business and where those ideals came from
- The secrets to how the business connects with its customers
- How he went from an aspiring chef to a retailer
- How the brick-and-mortar business expanded to include an e-commerce site
We’ll be back next weekend with another exciting episode of StartupNation Radio! Stay tuned.
Do you have a great entrepreneurial success story to share? Tell us your story here and you could be featured on an upcoming episode of StartupNation Radio.